Difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance For Dentists and Doctors

Generally, the insurance cover provided to a healthcare professional under a PUBLIC LIABILITY policy differs to that covered by a PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY insurance policy.

The covers are often purchased separately, but some insurers may offer the covers under a combined “package” of cover.

Generally, PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance covers Compensation claims made by a member of the public for injury or damage such as an accidental fall on a wet floor of a medical or dental practice. And generally, A PROFESSIONAL MALPRACTICE/INDEMNITY insurance policy covers Compensation claims made by a patient for a professional mistake regarding clinical care.

PUBLIC LIABILITY cover is a major category of insurance for business owners. Some rental agreements make it mandatory for a tenant to have PUBLIC LIABILITY cover. There are certain situations where you may be required to have PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance as a non-business owner. For example, if you are a contractor in a practice, the practice may state that you must have your own PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance.

When it comes to medical care, it may not always be straightforward to work out whether a situation falls under PUBLIC LIABILITY or PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY insurance.

Don’t assume your PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY policy automatically covers you for PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance and vice versa.

This is general information. Contact us to find out more. Always read the product disclosure statement issued by an insurer before taking out cover.